All your questions answered in one place.
Frequently Asked Questions
All your questions
Welcome to our FAQ section! Here you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about career opportunities at NCC. If you don’t find the answer to your question here, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our dedicated customer service team is always happy to help.
Working at NCC
Find out about benefits you get as a Northumberland County Council employee.
- 26 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays (rising to 31 after 5 years of service)(pro-rata for part-time employees)
- Automatic enrolment into the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Flexi scheme applicable to majority of roles
- Family leave provisions above and beyond the statutory minimum
- Fair pay for all staff with examples of this including automatic pay progression to top of band, an annual pay award agreed through collective bargaining and the Northumberland Living Wage
- Free staff parking at council sites
- Local government discount schemes available to all employees with offers at local businesses along with various national brands
- A choice of recognised trade union memberships
- A commitment to work-life balance offering flexibility through various schemes including job sharing, home working, flexible working, part-year working, and compressed hours
- A relocation scheme is offered to those moving from outside the area (for further details please contact a member of the HR team)
We also run a salary sacrifice scheme where staff can save money in various ways including:
- Car Leasing Scheme (visit our provider NHS Fleet Solutions for more details)
- Give as you Earn (G.A.Y.E.) charity contributions
- Additional voluntary pension contributions
- Home Electronics Scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work
We are an equal opportunities employer and strive to be an accessible and inclusive organisation. We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their sex, religion or belief, race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, disability, or maternity or pregnancy status.
Yes, we are a Disability Confident employer. We guarantee to interview disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for a job and can provide application information in alternative formats. We also make reasonable adjustments to the application process.
We have several staff groups, including the Disability, BAME, and LGBT+ staff groups. These groups offer support to our staff. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and offer support to trans or non-binary applicants through the Trans Inclusion HR Officer during the application process.
For more information about our commitment to equality and diversity, please visit our Equality in Northumberland page.
Help with job searching
To view a complete list of vacancies, please visit https://jobsearch.northumberland.gov.uk/jobs/search. You can filter your job search by location, contract type, and department using a variety of different options. Once you have identified the role that meets your requirements, simply click on the ‘apply’ button to begin the application process.
When you apply for a job with us, we’ll ask you to provide your details and create a personal account. This account will be used for any future applications you make, so you won’t have to fill out your details again. If you need any help completing your application, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our friendly recruitment team by emailing email@example.com We’re here to help!
Before submitting your online application, it’s important to double-check that you have included all relevant information, uploaded your CV, and provided all necessary contact details.
If you have an account but have forgotten your password, don’t worry! Simply go to the login page and click on ‘Forgot your password?’ located below the login box. Follow the instructions to reset your password. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to email our recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you have submitted your application, we will review it as soon as possible. If you meet the criteria for the role you have applied for, you can expect to be contacted by a recruiter via email or phone to discuss the position further. Don’t forget to keep an eye on your emails and phone so that you don’t miss any important updates!
You should expect to hear back within 7 days of submitting your application.